FLIGBY’s commitment to making experiential learning accessible
FLIGBY’s mission: To be open for everybody
We at ALEAS Simulations, Inc., believe that the opportunity to access our FLIGBY program with its serious gaming and interactive movie features should be open for everybody and we are committed to making our content and technology accessible to all learners. Our development team makes a continual effort to revise and maintain the accessibility of FLIGBY.
ALEAS uses the WCAG 2.0 standards as the basis for product development. This includes creating accessibility-aware guidelines for product development, prioritizing quality assurance before new features are released, and regularly updating and improving released solutions to meet WCAG standards.
FLIGBY’s interactive adventure
FLIGBY is an online leadership development program with complex serious gaming and interactive movie functions. Interactive Movie is a nonlinear film that uses the “branching narrative” storytelling format and allows players to pick between a series of choices as they go along, giving them control over how the plot unfolds. The scenario-based approach used by FLIGBY is a proven method to improve critical thinking skills. During the gameplay, 150 decisions and their individual and organizational impacts are evaluated.
We consider FLIGBY’s accessibility in two aspects:
- Serious gaming framework (HTML content), and
- Embedded streaming media (interactive movie)
How are we building accessible content?
Initiatives addressing FLIGBY’s serious gaming features
- Colors – Information in the simulation doesn’t depend on color-coding and the text is high contrast for greater legibility. A color scheme divides FLIGBY’s user interface into visually distinct sections, helping users quickly identify the specific working areas.
- Screen-Readers – Most of the texts are coded in HTML or plain text formats. You can navigate FLIGBY’s dashboard and reporting sections with many common screen readers that read text aloud. In this way, we strive to build content that can be read by as many people as possible, on as many devices as possible.
- UI structure – The main content is now the brightest on-screen, helping guide the user’s focus.
Initiatives addressing FLIGBY’s interactive movie sequences
You have options to control how you access FLIGBY’s embedded streaming media contents. The following accessibility features are available for those with hearing, sight, or physical mobility needs (and for people without):
- Subtitles – Subtitles show dialogue as text so you can read it on your screen.
- Keyboard shortcuts – You can control the playing of FLIGBY’s interactive movie sequences through keyboard shortcuts on your computer. Controls include play/pause, rewind, fast-forward, as well as screen size and volume settings.
- Assistive listening systems – You can use many types of headsets, hearing aids, or headphones to listen to FLIGBY’s interactive movies you’re watching.
FLIGBY v2.0 VPAT
The following Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) provides details on how the accessibility features of FLIGBY help customers address Section 508 and WCAG 2.0 (A and AA) accessibility requirements:
Download FLIGBY v2.0 VPAT (October 2020), version 1.0
We’ve worked hard to make FLIGBY reach the Level AA WCAG 2.0 accessibility guidelines. If you do find any problems or have suggestions on how to improve our services, please get in touch:
ALEAS Simulations, Inc.
12121 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 525, Los Angeles CA 90025